CBN Flywheel Grinding Wheels are a relatively new addition to the flywheel grinding arsenal. Since they are so new, there’s been some confusion about them that we’d like to clear up.
- CBN Flywheel Grinding Wheels are constructed as an aluminum or graphite substrate and form into a cup (type 11) with CBN (cubic boron nitride) material cemented to the flair.
- CBN Flywheel Grinding Wheels are recommended only for use on ferrous materials; specifically cast iron.
- Because there is no real porosity in the CBN Flywheel Grinding Wheel, use them with large amounts of clean flywheel grinding coolant pointed at the wheel contact area. This will lubricate, cool and carry away swarf created during grinding. We also suggest you use a filter sock on the coolant returning to the sump to help minimize swarf returning to the wheel through the sump. Never crowd the machine or use a power feed while grinding as this will build heat and chunk the wheel.
- CBN Flywheel Grinding Wheels are great for finishing 90 degree steps in flywheels.
- CBN wheels create less dust
- CBN wheels can last 8 times longer compared to vitrified wheels on average.
- CBN wheels will last longer and create less heat when used with fresh, clean coolant.
As always, if you have questions about the Goodson CBN Flywheel Grinding Wheels, Flywheel Grinding in general or any other Goodson product, feel free to contact the Goodson Tech Services Department at 1-800-533-8010 or shoot us an email.